Who Pays for Your Medical Bills After a Car Accident in North Texas?

Following an accident, you may not responsible for covering your medical bills.
By Photo Spirit at Shutterstock

If you ever find yourself involved in a severe car accident in North Texas, immediately seek medical attention. You likely won’t owe the hospital any money at the time of the appointment. If you do, you’ll wind up recuperating the costs eventually.

After undergoing treatment for your injuries, you might be shocked to learn just how much the treatment costs. Fortunately, you are not expected to pay those bills. If the other driver was at fault for the accident, then their insurance company is responsible for your medical expenses. It’s just a matter of getting them to pay.

In such a case, hiring an experienced car accident attorney in North Texas can make a world of difference.

North Texas Car Insurance

Here in Texas, every driver on the road is required to carry a minimum of $30,000/$60,000 for bodily injury liability and another $25,000 for property damage coverage. According to the law, when two or more insured drivers are involved in an accident, the at-fault driver’s insurance will pay for any and all injuries sustained during the accident.

Filing a Claim

If the other driver was at fault, you are well within your rights to file a claim for all damages, including property damage and personal injuries. First, you need to file the claim with their insurance company. Unfortunately, most drivers will only choose to carry the minimum amount of damage coverage. This means that if your medical bills exceed their minimum, you may need to rely on your own insurance coverage to handle the costs. Your premium may rise in response.

To combat this concern, you could add underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage to your insurance policy. This additional coverage will kick in if the other driver cannot cover your medical expenses.

Fighting for Payment

On rare occasions, the other driver and the insurance company may argue fault. If that’s the case, they won’t want to fork over any cash for your injuries or property damage. You’ll need to hire an experienced attorney to fight on your behalf in court for compensation.

Typically, you only need an accident attorney if the damages and injuries were significant. However, if the other party refuses to pay, then you are within your rights to hire a lawyer to file a lawsuit. Most often, the other party’s insurance company will choose to settle out of court. Paying for a court case is far more expensive, and the risk of of losing and paying even more isn’t worth it. An attorney will help steer them in the right direction.

If you have been involved in a severe car accident, let The Durham Firm fight for fair compensation on your behalf. We will ensure you receive the most money for your settlement to cover any injuries or property damage from the wreck. Please call (214) 222-4000.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *