Dealing with an automobile accident is stressful. Still, it’s crucial that you remain calm. If you’re injured, or anyone in the vehicle is, you must call 9-1-1 immediately.
After the accident, you should:
- Move the vehicles to a safe place (if possible).
- Check everyone involved for signs of injuries; call an ambulance if necessary.
- Call the police, even for a minor accident.
- Gather information from everyone involved, including names and contact information, license plate numbers, insurance company information, and eyewitness reports.
Traffic Accidents in Texas
Texas is consistently in the lead for traffic accidents and fatalities. In 2016, the Texas Department of Transportation reported over 67,000 traffic accidents in Houston alone. Let’s break down their annual report.
- In 2016, 3,773 people lost their lives in traffic accidents.
- 1 person was killed every 2 hours and 20 minutes in a car accident in Texas.
- 1 reportable traffic accidents occurred every 57 seconds.
- 26 percent of traffic fatalities were drunk driving accidents.
Why You Should Hire a Personal Injury Attorney
After an accident of any size, hiring a personal injury attorney can be a safeguard. If you want a decent offer from the insurance companies, find yourself a competent, experienced attorney. They’ll know how to handle the following:
- Contingency Fees – Most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee, which means they do not charge you unless you win the case.
- Adjusters – An insurance adjuster is there to save the company money. They record all phone calls and using your words against you. An attorney knows how to handle adjusters.
- Liens – In most cases, you’ll have back liens for doctors, hospitals, and health insurance. An experienced attorney can help sift through the false liens.
Benefits of Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney
- When you hire an attorney, you’ll enjoy a number of benefits in the coming days, including:
Claims Worth – Your attorney has dealt with every type of accident imaginable. They know what your claim is worth and how to ensure you receive the most money for your trouble.
- Legal Process – The legalese surrounding car accidents can be troublesome to decipher without an attorney. Their experience will help you navigate these tough waters and come out on the other side victorious.
- Improved Odds – Without an attorney, you must fight for your own rights and a settlement. With an attorney, your odds of winning are significantly improved.