Every year, there are tens of thousands of bicycle accidents throughout the United Sates. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 30 percent of all cyclist injuries occur when a car bicycle rider is struck by a car. Injuries sustained during a bicycle accident can range from wrongful death to permanent disabilities and broken bones.
The good news is that there are many national and state laws that are designed to protect riders. These laws, coupled with established bike paths, have helped reduce the number of injuries caused by cars hitting cyclists. Unfortunately, negligent drivers still exist. If you have suffered a bicycle accident, then you should understand your rights by speaking with a bicycle accident attorney.
A Bicycle Rider Has the Same Right to the Road as a Car
Did you know that bicycles have the same right to the road as cars? Unfortunately, many drivers fail to see cyclists or don’t understand that the rider has the right to be on the road. With this in mind, there are several steps that riders can take to protect themselves as they enjoy cycling for sport, transportation, or pleasure.
- Be sure to follow all traffic signs and laws, including stopping at stop signs and red lights.
- Go with the flow of traffic rather than biking against oncoming traffic.
- Always use turn lanes and arm turn signals. Look before you turn to ensure there isn’t any oncoming traffic.
- Follow all posted speed limit signs, especially in busy city areas.
- Do not block traffic in the travel lane. If there isn’t a designated bike lane, then stay to the far right of the lane.
- Yield to cars and other cyclists when entering roadways.
- Do not bike while talking or texting on the phone.
- Never ride a bicycle while intoxicated.
- Always wear a properly fitting helmet.
- Use reflectors and a light when bicycling at night.
Just as you strive to stay safe while cycling, drivers need to follow the rules of the road to ensure they are practicing safe driving habits. If a negligent driver or a drunk driver caused an accident that injured you while you were riding your bicycle, then you can legally hold them accountable. The at-fault driver’s insurance will cover your property damage, medical bills, loss of income, and other possible damages.
How to Take Legal Action After a Bicycle Accident
If you have suffered from a biking accident and you want to take legal action, you will need to complete the following steps.
- File an accident report with the local police.
- Seek medical treatment for your injuries. Be sure to document any treatment that is received.
- Take photos of the scene (if possible).
- Identify any witnesses to the police.
- Speak with a bicycle accident lawyer to help build your case.
Bicycle Accident Injury Compensation
From broken bones to wrongful death and permanent injuries, a bicycle accident can be a traumatic experience. Todd R. Durham is here to help you receive the legal compensation you are owed after suffering from a bicycle accident.
We will help you build your case so you can receive the compensation for your medical and personal needs after your accident. To receive the legal support you need, contact Todd R. Durham today.