No one is ever truly prepared for an accident. The situation becomes even more stressful when the at-fault driver flees the scene. You’ve then got a hit-and-run accident on your hands. A hit-and-run occurs when one driver strikes another vehicle, a pedestrian or cyclist, or swipes a parked car, then drives off without notice. Whenever you’re involved in a collision, try to remain calm. Call the authorities, seek medical attention, file an insurance claim, and speak with an attorney.
After a Collision
Immediately following a hit-and-run accident in Dallas, TX, follow these tips:
- Remain calm
- Check yourself for injuries
- Call the authorities and inform them of the situation, including reporting any injuries
- Always report the accident to the police, regardless of circumstances
- If possible, record the license plate number of any involved vehicles
- Collect names, addresses, and phone numbers of witnesses
- Take photos of the scene
- Never admit fault
- Ask for a copy of the police report
- Notify your insurance agent or company promptly
- Speak with an attorney
Filing an Insurance Claim
If you can identify the individual who hit you, you can receive insurance information from your insurance company or the police, and file a claim with their insurance provider. If not, you’ll need to wait for the police to catch up with the individual.
Still, you may file a claim with your insurance company for a hit-and-run incident. Your policy may include coverage. Many insurance providers waive the deductible for a hit-and-run accident, which is quite helpful for drivers who are not at-fault for the accident.