The Lewisville Morning News reported a Garland police officer was injured when a Lexus ran a red light and struck the officer’s vehicle. The driver and passenger of the Lexus were taken to the hospital for their injuries. The driver admitted to being under the influence of marijuana and was charged with intoxicated assault. Two children were in the police officer’s vehicle at the time of the accident, and the little girl was transported to the hospital with a broken ankle but is expected to recover. There are no details currently on whether the police officer was on duty or not.
Driving Under the Influence
Whether a person has been drinking alcohol or smoking marijuana, these can both greatly impair their ability to drive. Thousands of fatal accidents occur each year due to impaired drivers. If you are under the influence of any substance, it is important that you do not get behind the wheel. If you are hit by someone you suspect is under the influence of some type of drug, do the following:
- Call 9-1-1 and try to remain still.
- Do not approach the other vehicle.
- Wait until emergency vehicles arrive and remain still.
- Stay in your car unless there is a risk of fire.
- After authorities arrive, state what you remember.
- Take pictures of the scene with your cell phone.
- Get thoroughly examined by medical professionals.
If you have been involved in any car accident, it is crucial that you speak to an accident attorney as soon as possible. Call Todd Durham for assistance collecting the compensation you deserve. Dial (214) 222-4000 to schedule your free initial consultation today.