Motorcycle accidents can be prevented by using safety tips outlined by the Texas Department of Transportation. Your Plano TX motorcycle accident attorney, Todd Durham, wants you to prevent accidents and injuries by taking preventative measures. Look over a few motorcycle safety tips from TxDOT:
All riders under the age of 21 are required to wear a helmet when operating a motorcycle. Riders over 21 may ride without a helmet only if they have completed a safety course or are covered by an applicable insurance plan.
Motorcyclists don’t have the protection that cars and trucks have. To stay safe, remember to:
- Wear a helmet and other protective gear
- Turn on your headlights and ride defensively
- Avoid the center of the lane where debris and oil build up
- Ride at a safe speed and never ride if you’ve been drinking
- Take a course to learn or reinforce safe riding techniques
Other drivers need to keep an eye out for motorcycles and safely share the road:
- Look twice for motorcyclists at intersections, entering highways and whenever turning or changing lane
- Always maintain a safe following distance
- When passing a motorcyclist, move to the other lane and allow a full lane for the motorcycle
The motorcycle safety article also explains the two places serious motorcycle collisions most commonly occur are intersections and when changing lanes. The Law Office of Todd R. Durham is your qualified motorcycle attorney in Plano and offers a free consultation. Call 214.222.4000 or 817.870.0007 today to get started on your motorcycle accident case.