In the early morning of June 9, 2016, a Garland police officer was involved in a car accident that occurred in the Lewisville area. A Lexus ran a red light and struck the police officer’s vehicle. Two children were in the backseat of the car, a 13-year-old girl was reported to have a broken ankle, and the condition of the officer and the other child is unknown. The driver of the Lexus admitted that they were under the influence of marijuana during the time of the crash and had subsequently been charged with intoxicated assault. Our thoughts are with the Garland police officer and the child’s family during this difficult time.
What to Do After an Accident
When you are involved in a car accident, you need to make sure to do the right things to get the right results. Depending on the circumstances of the crash and how badly you are injured, you may or may not be able to complete all these steps. But try to gather as much information as possible. Do the following:
- Stay calm and still.
- If your car is still in the middle of the road, try to move to the shoulder.
- Call 9-1-1 or instruct a witness on the scene to call for medical assistance.
- Take pictures of the scene and take pictures of your injuries.
- Gather witness contact information
- Get checked thoroughly by a medical professional.
- Talk to an attorney about your accident and file your claim.
If you have questions about what to do after your Lewisville-area car accident, contact the experienced attorney, Todd Durham. Call (214) 222-4000 to schedule your initial consultation to discuss your claim. Don’t trust the insurance company, get an aggressive legal advocate on your side.