On May 9, one person was killed in a catastrophic wreck on the westbound side of I-20 right at Cooper Street. There were multiple vehicles that were involved in the crash. The accident occurred when an SUV ran over a pallet in the road and a Hundai swerved to avoid the pallet and hit the median. After hitting the median, an 18-wheeler struck the Hundai, killing the driver. A white pickup truck also was damaged during the accident. Traffic was stopped for a while after the accident so that authorities could perform an investigation. There is still no information regarding where the pallet in the road came from.
What to Do After a Car Accident
When you are involved in a car accident, especially on the freeway, you are probably completely stressed out and scared for your life. However, it is important that you know what to do so that you don’t risk further injury. If you find yourself involved in a car accident, do the following:
- Try to remain calm and aware of your surroundings.
- Pull as far to the side of the road as you can.
- If you cannot get to the side of the road, do not get out of your car.
- Make sure you are not severely injured.
- Call for help on your phone or instruct someone else at the scene to dial 911.
- If you can, take pictures of the damage on your cellphone.
- Gather contact information from witnesses on the scene.
- Get thoroughly checked by a medical professional.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible.