Each day, on your way to work or the grocery store, you likely pass a billboard promoting the services of a local car accident attorney. You see their television commercials in the evening. The need for a competent lawyer is all around us. These days, with the way people tend to drive in their own little bubble, car accidents are commonplace. With the looming threat of a vehicle accident overhead, it can pay to be prepared. You should know of a local car accident attorneyto call in the event of such an incident.
When You Don’t Need an Attorney
First and foremost, let us get a few minor cases out of the way, for when you don’t actually need to hire a car accident attorney. These cases are rare. More often than not, you’ll want to hire an experienced lawyer to help navigate the insurance claims process.
There are three primary cases in which you wouldn’t need an attorney unless you really want to hire one. These include:
- Clarity of Liability – When the other driver was clearly at fault and you have proof or their acknowledgment of the case.
- Minor Injuries – If any injuries sustained are incredibly minor, with low medical bills or expenses, it doesn’t make sense to hire an attorney if their cost is more than that of your medical bills.
- No Extenuating Circumstances – If there are no extenuating circumstances surrounding the accident that require investigation, such as a previous injury or lack of coverage, then you can likely handle the incident on your own.
When to Hire a Car Accident Attorney
Now, let us explore when you absolutely should speak with an experienced car accident attorney.
It would be smart to, at the very least, speak with an attorney for advice when:
- Liability for the accident is unclear or shared with both parties.
- You do not know how to evaluate your insurance claim.
- The insurance adjuster is requesting specific medical records from prior to your accident.
- The insurance adjuster made you an offer and you believe your claim is worth far more.
Then, you have incidents in which hiring an attorney is a must, such as:
- You have extenuating circumstances that make your accident claim more valuable and you are unclear on how to prove any losses or injuries.
- The insurance company recently denied your accident claim and you believe this verdict is incorrect.
- You are seriously injured with expensive medical bills or long-lasting disability.
- The accident itself is complex and requires expert investigation into the matter
- All involved parties are disputing liability and you believe you are not at fault for the accident in question.
If you were injured in a car accident, contact The Durham Firm, serving Dallas-Fort Worth, to speak with an experienced car accident attorney. You can reach us at 214-222-4000. We are happy to sit down and discuss your case and see how we can help you receive more compensation for your injuries and property damage.